How to Apply Vinyl Decal Instructions
This is a concise instructional guide on how to apply a vinyl decal. This guide is designed to help beginning crafters and businesses that use vinyl on their products. Businesses can use this guide to give out to their customers as well. Or as a crafter, you can use this reference for your next vinyl decal projects.
What’s a vinyl decal and what is it used for?
Before you begin crafting, you must first understand what material you are working with and that is vinyl. There are three main categories of vinyl: removable vinyl, permanent vinyl, and heat transfer vinyl.
Removable and permanent vinyl are both adhesive vinyl. The former is temporary and will not damage the application surface when removed. On the other hand, the latter is permanent and can withstand constant washing and changes in weather.
Permanent vinyl can be applied to the items listed below. However, you may also use removable vinyl if the item will be used temporarily for an occasion. Here are the items you can use adhesive vinyl on:
- Laptops or computers
- Wooden signs
- Wall decals
Instructions and Tips on Vinyl Decal Application
- Clean the merchandise: Use rubbing alcohol in cleaning the surface and let it completely dry off before vinyl application. Vinyl can’t stick properly if the surface is dirty, greasy, and bumpy.
- Peel the paper backing: Place transfer paper over the vinyl, burnish, and carefully peel off the vinyl’s paper backing (the top layer is used as decal stickers). In case you are working on larger decals, you need two people for the job.
- Align and press: Carefully align and position the decal on the surface. Then, press it to ensure that the vinyl completely sticks to the surface.
- Burnish: Smoothen the decal over the surface using a squeegee, or old credit card. Using your dominant hand, hold the squeegee at a 45-degree angle.
- Remove the transfer tape: Carefully and slowly remove the transfer tape by starting at the corner of the decal. Let the vinyl cure for at least 24 hours before washing.
Tip #1: Use Transfer Tape With Grid
A transfer tape is a clear sheet that allows you to peel off the vinyl decal from its backing paper. It allows you to stick your decal onto the surface recognizably in one piece. Your clients will surely appreciate it if you can give them a transfer paper that has a grid on it.
If you have large decals, you need a transfer tape that is as large as the decal. Regardless of decal size, it is better to use a transfer tape that comes with a grid. This helps line up your decal straight.
Tip #2: Clarify the Type of Vinyl Ordered
There are so many vinyl options that could leave your clients feeling overwhelmed and confused. Here are some details that you need to inform your clients about:
- Inform them what type of vinyl they ordered (removable, permanent, or HTV)
- Let them know whether the vinyl could damage the surface or not. It is ideal to recommend the best type of vinyl when clients are uncertain.
Tip #3: Offer Limited Options
With so many types of vinyl to choose from, most clients would prefer that you give them options instead. Many beginning crafters don’t know how to choose vinyl. You can initially offer them three different designs and five color choices.
Tip #4: Include Decal Application Instructions
Aside from selling quality vinyl, customers would love extra service. You can make a list containing the steps on how to apply vinyl. This list you can freely give to your customers.
You may also create a social media account where you can post pictures and videos of how to apply different kinds of vinyl. You can check out TeckWrap Craft’s Instagram page and YouTube channel. You can also take a look at the blog site of TeckWrap Craft for inspiration.
How do you apply decals step by step?
The first step in applying a decal is to clean the surface where the decal will be placed. Let the surface dry completely before you apply the decal. Then, position the decal on the surface. If you are content, press down and smoothen it out on the surface. You can remove the transfer paper and reveal your finished product.
How do you apply small vinyl decals?
You can apply small decals by lifting one corner of the decal and peeling off the paper backing at a sharp angle. Position it on the surface and rub it all over using a squeegee. You can remove the transfer paper once the entire decal has adhered to the surface.
Do you apply vinyl wet or dry?
You can apply vinyl both wet or dry. Generally, those without transfer tape are applied wet. The wet method is done to avoid the formation of air bubbles. For decals with transfer tape, you can apply either wet or dry. For the wet method, you have to let the decal dry out before you remove the transfer tape.
Vinyl application is easy and fun to do once you get the hang of it. You can turn your crafting hobby into a good business opportunity. You can’t go wrong with stocking up on TeckWrap Craft vinyl and accessories.
Be a TeckWrap Craft dealer and adorn your shop with different vinyl to attract clients. Contact TeckWrap Craft for additional information. Your business will surely go a long way if you offer quality products and excellent service.