Posted By TeckWrap Craft On October 14, 2023
How To Make Stickers With Cricut - A Comprehensive Guide
Table of Contents
- What Are Vinyl Stickers?
- What Is A Cricut Machine?
- What Is The ‘Print Then Cut’ Feature On Cricut?
- The Process Of Making Vinyl Stickers With Cricut
- Steps Involved In Making Stickers With Cricut
- Design Your Stickers
- Print Your Design
- Set Up Your Cricut Machine
- Laminate Your Stickers
- Cut The Stickers
- Weed Out The Negative Vinyl
- Apply Vinyl Stickers On Your Desired Surface
- Vinyl Sticker Sheets At TeckWrap Craft
- Beginner Packs For Printable Sticker Vinyl
- Where Can You Apply Vinyl Stickers?
- Frequently Asked Questions
If you're looking to adorn and infuse a personal flair into your treasured possessions, we have an ideal solution: vinyl stickers. You can make vibrant and eye-catching stickers with Cricut using its ‘Print then Cut’ feature. With this option, the selected designs are first printed onto the vinyl sticker paper, then each of them is cut using the Cricut machine.
Whether you are an avid crafter, a DIY enthusiast, or a novice looking to embark on a creative journey, making custom stickers has never been more accessible, easy, and exciting. Discover how to transform your ideas into vibrant, adhesive stickers that can be used to decorate your laptop, personalize your water bottles, or even kickstart a small business.
Join us on this exciting adventure as we explore the world of making stickers with Cricut, unlocking endless possibilities for customization.
What Are Vinyl Stickers?
Vinyl stickers are versatile adhesive labels, letters, or graphics crafted from resilient vinyl material. They can be customized in terms of size, design, color, and text, using a Cricut machine making them suitable for personal expression, branding, marketing, or decorative purposes.
Their strong adhesive backing enables easy application to a wide range of surfaces, from vehicles and windows to laptops, walls, scrapbooks, albums, and various other objects. Vinyl stickers are renowned for their durability and long-lasting performance.
If you want to change the look or replace them with another design, the stickers can be easily removed without causing damage or leaving residue on the surface, enhancing their appeal for a multitude of applications.
What Is A Cricut Machine?
Cricut is a brand of electronic cutting machine used for various crafting and DIY projects. These machines are designed to precisely cut a wide range of materials, including paper, vinyl, fabric, cardstock, and more, into intricate shapes, letters, and designs.
The best Cricut machines for cutting vinyl stickers are the Cricut Explore Air 3 and Cricut Maker. Each of these devices offers distinct functionalities, and your decision between them hinges on your particular requirements, financial considerations, and the extent of versatility that aligns with your objectives.
The Cricut machines are known for their versatility and ease of use, making them popular among crafters, hobbyists, and creative enthusiasts. They can be connected to a computer or mobile device, where users can design their projects using Cricut's software Design Space and then send the design to the machine for precise cutting.
What Is The ‘Print Then Cut’ Feature On Cricut?
This is a very important feature for those crafters who love to create their own colorful stickers with Cricut. In simple words, the design is first printed then the Cricut machine cuts it.
This is a versatile tool that enables users to create intricate designs with precision. This function begins with designing your artwork, which is then printed on a home printer. The Cricut machine's integrated camera or sensor technology recognizes registration marks on the printed material, ensuring accurate cutting around the edges of your design.
This capability allows you to seamlessly combine the vibrancy of printed graphics with the impeccable cutting precision of the Cricut machine. Whether you're adding personalized touches to greeting cards or creating intricate decals for vinyl stickers, ‘Print Then Cut’ enhances your crafting capabilities with exceptional results.
The Process Of Making Vinyl Stickers With Cricut
You can easily make exquisite and captivating vinyl stickers with Cricut to embellish any smooth, clean, and dry surface. For a flawless venture, it is important to have the right set of tools. Here’s what you need:
- Cricut Machine: As mentioned earlier, for vinyl stickers, Cricut Explore Air 3 and Cricut Maker are the ideal models. Get any one of these.
- Printable Sticker Vinyl Sheets: Get premium quality printable sticker vinyl sheets such as the ones available at TeckWrap Craft. You can get different surface finishes in these.
- Printer: You will need a printer to print the sticker first before cutting. An inkjet printer is perfect for the job.
- Cricut Cutting Mat: You will need a Cricut cutting mat appropriate for your project. Standard grip green mats with a grid are suitable for most vinyl cutting. For making vinyl stickers, you can even use the light grip blue one.
- Weeding Tools: These include a tweezer, weeder, or a weeding pen. You can choose the one you are most comfortable using. All of these are available in the TeckWrap Craft ‘Accessories’ section. These help in removing the negative vinyl pieces from the stickers if any after it is cut with Cricut.
- Transfer Tape: Transfer tape is essential for applying the sticker on an appropriate surface.
- Computer or Tablet: You will need this with internet access to use ‘Design Space’, the software that is compatible with the Cricut machine. You will finalize your sticker design on it.
- Laminate Sheet: A clear laminate sheet is applied on the stickers for added durability, especially if they will be exposed to detrimental elements like UV rays and water.
- Squeegee: This is an essential tool that helps smooth out the vinyl sheet on the cutting mat. It also removes creases when applying transfer tape to stickers. You can get this from the ‘Accessories’ section on the TeckWrap Craft website as well.
Steps Involved In Making Stickers With Cricut
Once you have the right tools, the process of making stickers with Cricut becomes a breeze. Here’s a detailed step-by-step guideline to follow:
Design Your Stickers
Start by launching the Cricut Design Space software on your computer or tablet. Click on ‘New Project’ to begin. Use the design tools in the software to create your stickers. Make the necessary changes such as entering your desired text, selecting fonts, and adjusting the size.
Design Space has a whole directory of images that you can choose from. If you do not want to use one of them, you can import your own design as well. If you want to work on some other software like Adobe Photoshop or Canva, you can do so and once the design is final, you can transfer it to Design Space so that you can use Cricut on it.
It is important to calibrate your Cricut machine for the ‘Print then Cut’ feature so that it cuts correctly around the stickers. In the home screen of the Design Space, pull down the menu from the top left and press Calibration. A box will open. Select ‘Print then Cut’ on it. Another dialog box will open through which you will connect your printer to the program.
Once you have uploaded an image, on the top menu, under ‘Operations’ select ‘Print then Cut’. Now select the image and click the ‘Flatten’ tool from the layers panel. This flattens down all different layers of the image into one single layer. It will also give you a single cut line along the border of the image. Click the ‘Make It’ button. This will allow you to print the design. Specify your print settings and proceed.
Note: In Design Space, You can change colors, layer elements, and add additional shapes or text. You can also design your own stickers. If you do so, it is important to note that the maximum printable area for the ‘Print then Cut’ option is 9.25 inches by 6.75 inches. Take care that your final sticker sheet design fits within these dimensions or is smaller.
Print Your Design
Set up your printer. Load it with the printable vinyl sticker sheet and make sure the orientation is right. Give the command to print. Once it is done, inspect your sheet. There should be no smudges or inconsistencies. Let the print dry. For knowing about the best sticker paper for printer check our blog.
Set Up Your Cricut Machine
Turn on your Cricut machine and connect it to your computer or tablet using a USB cable or Bluetooth, depending on your model. In Cricut Design Space, select the type of material you will be using from the material selection menu. In this case, you will select printable vinyl.
Laminate Your Stickers
In order to apply the clear laminate sheet over your printed stickers, cut it according to the size of the vinyl sticker sheet. Remove the backing a bit and apply it to the printed sticker sheet from the top. Adhere the top edge using a squeegee, then slowly remove the backing bit by bit, applying the squeegee to the laminate so it sticks without any creases or bubbles. Do it slowly for perfection.
Cut The Stickers
Place your vinyl sticker sheet with the laminate on it on the cutting mat, ensuring it's even and securely stuck to the mat. You can use a squeegee for it. Load the cutting mat into your Cricut machine. Make sure it is properly aligned. Press the flashing arrow button to feed it into the machine.
In Cricut Design Space, you have two options for cutting when creating vinyl stickers: ‘kiss cut’ and ‘die cut’. Kiss cut stickers involve the Cricut machine cutting only through the top layer of vinyl, leaving the backing sheet intact. Die cut stickers involve the Cricut cutting through both layers to create separate stickers.
Select the setting that you want and let the machine cut. Once the cutting mat is inserted into the machine, you'll see the Cricut icon button blinking. This indicates that the machine is prepared to cut the stickers. To initiate, simply press the C button.
You'll observe the Cricut device commencing its motion across your paper to scan the black registration lines. Following the scanning process, it will proceed with the cutting phase. Once it is done, unload the mat. Now it’s time to weed.
Note: A test cut is recommended before cutting the actual sticker vinyl sheet to see if the cut settings are appropriate or not.
Weed Out The Negative Vinyl
Once the cutting is complete, press the flashing arrow button to release the cutting mat from the Cricut machine. Use weeding tools to lift and discard the unwanted vinyl, leaving only your sticker designs on the backing paper.
Start from the upper corner and pull the extra vinyl down and across the sheet, away from the cut stickers. Go very slowly and make sure its adhesive back does not touch any of your stickers while you are pulling the vinyl away.
Apply Vinyl Stickers On Your Desired Surface
Cut a piece of transfer tape larger than your sticker design. Carefully place the transfer tape over your sticker design, ensuring it adheres smoothly without air bubbles. Gently press it down.
Once the transfer tape has adhered, remove the backing from the sticker. Now place the transfer tape with stickers onto your desired surface. To get longevity out of your vinyl stickers, the surface should be completely clean and free from dust, debris, and grease. It should be smooth as well.
Press the stickers down firmly, using a squeegee to ensure strong adhesion. Make sure they are straight and well-positioned. Slowly and carefully peel off the transfer tape at an angle, leaving the stickers adhered to your surface.
Vinyl Sticker Sheets At TeckWrap Craft
At TeckWrap Craft, we have premium quality vinyl sticker sheets in different finishes so you can embellish various smooth, clean, and dry surfaces revamping their look. They are durable and long-lasting and offer smudge-free printing. The print result is vibrant and flamboyant making your stickers highly captivating.
Inkjet Printable Sticker Vinyl
We offer these amazing high-grade sticker vinyl sheets for our ardent customers. You can transfer amazing designs on these using an inkjet printer and then make stickers on Cricut. These are available in different finishes such as matte, holographic, glow in the dark, and glossy. We also have laminate sheets for these. You can get these sheets in
- Our alluring
holographic sticker vinylsheets are a captivating addition to the world of crafting and customization. They feature a stunning holographic effect that produces a dazzling array of colors and patterns as they catch the light from different angles. They are perfect for adding a touch of magic and brilliance to your stickers, and decals.
Glow in the Darkprintable sticker vinyl offers an enchanting twist to crafting. These innovative sheets absorb light and then emit a soft, luminous glow in the dark, making them ideal for creating mesmerizing, nocturnal designs. They allow you to add an element of surprise and intrigue to your projects. Perfect for whimsical decorative pieces, these printable sticker vinyl sheets let your creativity shine even in the dark.
glossy sticker vinylsheets are a go-to choice for those seeking a polished and professional finish in their crafting endeavors. These sheets are white and boast a high-shine surface that enhances the vibrancy of colors and sharpness of designs, making them perfect for creating visually striking stickers, labels, or decorative elements. Their reflective quality adds an air of sophistication, while their durability ensures that your creations stay impeccable over time.
- The matte sticker vinyl sheets at TeckWrap Craft offer a more subdued and understated finish compared to their glossy counterparts. These white sheets provide a non-reflective, muted texture that adds a touch of elegance and sophistication to your stickers. They are an excellent choice for achieving a more subtle and muted aesthetic, making them ideal for projects where you want the focus to be on the content rather than on a shiny surface. They provide a soft and tactile quality that lends a unique charm to your creative work.
- We also have lamination sheets for your stickers. They are an important tool in the world of crafting and design. These sheets are essentially transparent overlays that can be applied to printed stickers or labels to provide an extra layer of protection.
They not only shield your designs from wear and tear but also enhance the visual appeal by adding a glossy, matte, or holographic finish. Our sticker laminate sheets are perfect for preserving the vibrancy of colors and keeping your creations looking sharp and professional. They offer durability to your stickers so that they may last for long.
Beginner Packs For Printable Sticker Vinyl
At TeckWrap Craft, we also offer packs for beginners who are new to vinyl and are learning the ropes. These include 30 pieces of assorted vinyl sticker sheets including holographic, matte & glossy vinyl, laminate sheets, and a squeegee.
We also have a pack of matte white sticker vinyl sheets with a squeegee, and a mix laminate sheets pack. You can get these in A4 size. They are perfect for making amazing stickers with Cricut.
Where Can You Apply Vinyl Stickers?
You can apply custom vinyl stickers made with the Cricut machine to a wide range of surfaces and items to add a personal touch to them. Here are some popular project ideas:
- Decorate your laptop or desktop computer with stickers that reflect your personality or interests.
- Personalize your reusable water bottles and travel mugs with stickers to make them easily identifiable and stylish.
- Customize your smartphone case with unique stickers to give it a personalized look.
- Add stickers to the covers of your notebooks and journals for a creative touch.
- Design car decals to express your interests or support causes you care about.
- Customize your skateboard, helmet, and other sports equipment with stickers to showcase your style.
- Apply stickers to mirrors, windows, walls, or even your furniture as temporary decorations or to convey inspirational messages.
- Use stickers to embellish homemade greeting cards and personalize gift packaging.
- Add stickers to game consoles or kitchen appliances to make them stand out.
- Incorporate stickers into your DIY craft projects, such as scrapbooking, card making, album decoration, and home decor.
- Personalize your kayak, paddleboard, or boat with waterproof stickers.
- Decorate your musical instruments with vinyl stickers to give them a unique appearance.
- If you're selling something, use them to brand your packaging, promotional materials, and products.
- Create custom vinyl stickers with Cricut for party favors, invitations, and decorations for special occasions.
- Personalize children's belongings like lunchboxes and school supplies with fun stickers.
Frequently Asked Questions
Let’s Make Exquisite Vinyl Stickers With Cricut!
Making custom vinyl stickers with a Cricut machine is a creatively satisfying and versatile craft that allows you to transform your ideas into concrete, adhesive expressions. Whether you are looking to decorate personal items, add a professional touch to your business, or simply indulge in a fulfilling creative outlet, making stickers with Cricut provides a user-friendly and rewarding experience.
Remember to follow each step with care and embrace your newfound ability to turn imagination into stickers that beautifully embellish your world. Visit TeckWrap Craft today, and get your Inkjet printable vinyl sticker pack now!